Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Business thoughts

When you're 23, people love to ask you what you want to do with your life.  This, my friends, is a very tough question to answer when you're not in medical school, or law school, or any kind of school at all.  Yes, I am employed.  Yes, I live with my parents.  But what else?  Where am I headed, they want to know.

To be honest, my guess is as good as yours.  Is this to say I have no idea of what I would like to do?  Of course not, I can think of plenty of things I would like to do, but that does not mean I have found my calling.  And you never know where the universe will land you.  So let's start with the basics, here's what I can tell you I am interested in doing...

Working for myself.  I would like to try it.  My dad gave me an idea for a business recently and I might as well share it with all of you.  This would be just a baby-step into running my own big-time business one day, but it would be worth trying.

What I would do is host cheese-making parties in other peoples' houses.  All the wealthy housewives in Piedmont with nothing but time could hire me for an evening shindig.  They would drink wine while this polite and engaging Jewish girl tells them all about cheese and then we make mozzarella balls or chevre or something, and after a couple hours I walk away with a couple hundo in my pocket.

Each person would have a pot and a burner provided for her (because let's be honest, there wouldn't be a whole lot of men interested in doing this), I would also bring the milk, culture, rennet, etc.  And I would have a script prepared of course, detailing the history of this cheese, blah blah blah.

In order to do this I would need:

  • more knowledge about cheese (and possibly wine), which I am currently gaining on a daily basis at work
  • Cheesemaking skills (which I have to an extent but would need to practice stovetop recipes, etc.)
  • milk, culture, rennet and coolers to transport it
  • 4-8 individual heating elements to make the cheese on
  • customers
  • a script
  • utensils like knifes, spoons, etc.
  • making a couple of folding tables and tablecloths too
  • some literature for people to read and follow along with
  • cheesecloth bags



No comments:

Post a Comment