Wednesday, July 17, 2013

birthday time and other highlights

Back in California and I can't believe it hasn't even been a week!  Totally crazy.  What a whirlwind the last 12 days have been, packing up and leaving my home for the last 6 months and then driving down here with Moms and moving back into the old digs.  There was a little bit of tension moving back in with the new pup, but in many ways he's also been totally awesome with the transition.  Roscoe Rocco Ringo Dingo Dean and Budweiser Beans Home Salmon Potato Abraham and I (that's one gal and two mutts) have been having a lovely time going to various parks and dog parks by the water everyday and enjoying the sights and smells.

Yesterday morning was a real foggy mother and I went to breakfast early with my parents before taking the doggies down to Pt. Isabel where it was foggy but warm and I brought my mom's ball throwing plastic arm extension device and the dogs got a good run-around in.  Showing up to the dog park without a tennis ball thrower is like showing up to 7-11 with no shoes on.  It ain't good.

I've been seeing a lot of my dear friends from high school who are still as close to my heart as ever and we have more in common than before even.  Such warm, ambitious and fun people!  It's great to have their creative company again.  Plus we go places and do stuff, cook things and play games.  I've also had the good fortune to spend some quality time with my lovely cousin, who is also back living at home for the moment.  Today is her birthday.  For the first time we are in the same place and I am finally old enough that we're in the same age category, which is exceedingly fun and wonderful.  I never did have a sister.

The job hunt has been very fruitful so far.  I had three interviews this week, all of which went well!  On Saturday I did a try-out in the kitchen of a well-known local ice cream shop that makes their own everything in house.  The try-out was only a few hours long but it was hard work!  The interview I had on Monday was very long, close to an hour, so I budgeted the same amount of time for one at a different retailer the next day, and the second interview was only ten minutes.  Both went well and were for cheese monger positions, they were just conducted by totally different types of people (with different amounts of time on their hands).  The first of the cheese monger interviewers called me back less than 24 hours later to offer me the job.  While I am thrilled to have that option in my pocket, I do want to hear what the other two jobs I applied for say before I commit.  There are options to be weighed.

I should hear back from all the places by early next week, but until then I have a birthday.  My parents and I are planning on going to Tassajara Zen Mountain Center tomorrow early in the morning, but we got a call this afternoon saying there is a fire there, in the Los Padres forest and Tassajara may be evacuated.  So we will be calling them at 6:30 in the morning to find out whether or not to go.  I hope we can go of course.  Infinite stars, hikes, delicious food, rustic cabins and bubbling hot springs all characterize the magic of Tassajara and first time I was there, it changed me.  I really look forward to going back and spending some time off the grid with my book by the gurgling creek.  Let's hope that fire dies tonight.

Anyway, I have to pack.  Got some new hiking boots I'm very happy with.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment