Tuesday, April 29, 2014

farm time moves slowly, also quickly

Here we are rapidly approaching the first of May and I am left blinking emphatically in disbelief.  I can't believe I've already been here two months, and yet, I can.  I feel like I finally have a handle on all the ins and outs and what-have-yous that allow the animal operation of Spannocchia to function.  In recent weeks we moved the donkeys to new pasture, so we are no longer supplementing their diet with hay, we brought a bull to slaughter, and welcomed into the world still more maialini carinissimi (very cute baby pigs).

week-old piglets on the "piano"

il mulino, where we mill all the grain for the animals including cows, pigs and chickens

I know I say this over and over on my blog, but the pace and rhythm of having one's life and one's work comingle as they do here is intensely fulfilling for me and I love that when I'm laying around reading on a Saturday afternoon, I can so easily be inspired to commence work on a project for the animals.

This weekend despite some crappy weather and a mild cold, I was energized to finish building a new electric fence, connect it to its other parts and finally have our new Padule area up and running.  Over the course of two afternoons I journeyed through the forest of oak and chestnut trees, building and wiring up the fence, repairing old sections and connecting them.  I ambled around with my tool belt  enjoying immensely having some time to work alone beyond the call of duty.  I think a few of my fellow interns thought me crazy for doing it, but maybe it just means I love my job here.


the piano, pig territory

sheridan and I get some serious work done when we scramble around in the Skoda

We also got into plenty of fun this weekend, with trips to Siena, the beach and hot springs.  I love my fellow interns and we never cease to enjoy each other's company immensely.  On Thursday afternoon the sun was shining like mad and we received the a-okay to have apperativi (pre-dinner cocktails and snacks, usually involving Campari and/or prosecco) on top of Spannocchia's 12-century tower, which looks out on all the surrounding hills and farms.  We drank and danced and had a gay old time of course.

sulla torre

cuddle puddle after pasqua dinner, themed "pastoral pastel" by ours truly

In other news, I have been granted permission to stay here past the end date of my internship.  I shall be staying at Spannocchia through the month of June!  Which means a whole extra month of Tuscany farmy fun.  I will get my own room with a little bathroom attached, in the same building I live in now, and will most likely wear many hats.  I will be working with the butchering, with the animals and probably doing whatever else needs to be done.  I'm so pleased with this latest development, especially because I finally feel that I have enough of a grasp of how everything works together that I can really be effective and useful in this place.

me and my girl Sheri D



view of Spank as you walk down from the piano


Yesterday, Monday, at our 8 o'clock meeting I learned that Richard and my beloved boss Giulio was out of commission for the next two weeks and that, with some help from Angelo, we would be in charge of the animals here--taking on more duties than usual and acting as our own bosses.  While I was very sorry for Giulio and his hurt ankle, I am also excited to have the opportunity to step up to the plate and show what a great job I can do.  Yesterday when Angelo, Sheridan and I were distributing flour (Richard was at the slaughterhouse), he looked to me entirely to call the shots and all he, Angelo, did was drive the tractor.  I felt like a boss!


la nuova maestra dei maialini e la sua macchina



No comments:

Post a Comment