Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mostly Pictures of Ricky and Lucy

Me, looking boss in my work clothes, with the "Cow's Cows".  
Wow it has been such a week, such a fantastic week!  It’s amazing to think I’ve only been living here for 8 days, and I am glad there are still so many ahead of me.

Work has been great and I’m starting to get into the rhythm and flow of the feeding schedule.  Spannocchia, the agricultural estate where I live and work (which has been a working farm for the last 500 hundred years) is pretty huge, albeit not as huge as it once was.  It is currently 1,100 acres.




The "Cappa Nonne" cows enjoying some delicious hay
A little backround, for centuries Spannocchia was farmed using the mezzadria system of crop-sharing.  Mezzo means “half” and the farmers who used to live here (in the very house I now inhabit) would grow half their food for themselves and half for the landowners.  Was it a perfect system?  No.  But nevertheless there are aspects of it, namely the method of raising animals are crops sustainably, that the owners of Spannocchia have choosen to maintain and educate people about.  We are also organic, if that hasn't been made apparent.


So, Spannocchia is huge and wooded and the first day working here we drove around the dirt roads and boom! would stumble upon a huge fenced off area full off pigs, seemingly in the middle of the woods.  But that didn’t just happen once, it happened like five times.  And after that first day of work I couldn’t imagine trying to remember all the different “feed areas” (pronounced like it’s one word ‘fee-DER-ia’, with an Italian accent, if you will).  Now, it feels like I’ve been driving around to these feederias every day since I was born.  Creature of habit, I suppose.

During farm work hours (Monday and Thursday from 8 a.m. til 1 and Tuesday, Wednesday ‘til five with a lunch break) we cruise around and feed everybody, which takes about two and a half hours in the morning, and then do other projects like fixing electrical fences that the cinghiale (wild boar) destroy. 

On Thursday morning a government veterinarian showed up to take some blood samples from the pigs, so we had to wrangle each one while he stuck a very fine needle in its jugular to collect the blood.  The pigs screamed like all hell, and at first it all seemed very cruel, but in reality it was just 2 minutes of unpleasantness in a lifetime of running free outdoors and eating--their favorite activity.  All in all, these pigs have it pretty good.  Next Friday I am going to help castrate some of the boars though, and that will surely be interesting.

One of the sows eating slop.  Only the sows who recently had piglets get this delectable treat.  They need it to produce all that pig milk!  Mmmmm pig milk.


Me and one of the week-old piglets

Ricky "Ricardo" Richard

One of the best things about my job is Ricardo, my dear, dear co-worker.  Richard is from D.C. and is one of the most kind, well mannered, hard working and piss-your-pants funny people I have ever met.  I already feel like he is one of my close friends, but not like that I assure you all.  Anyway, working with him is so much fun.  

We are the animali team and we take care of the heritage breeds of Tuscan animals Spannocchia has.  I apologize if I am repeating myself.  We kind of have the most responsibility of all the interns, and we definitely work the longest hours, but I couldn't be happier with my job placement.
Here I am with 'il pickup', the funky little standard Skoda we drive around all day
I have also been teaching Richard, who is way, way, WAY older than me (he's 26) how to drive stick.  This often results in me laughing so hard I am crying, while he stalls out in reverse on some terribly gravel-covered and hilly road.  Are these the optimal conditions for learn to drive stick?  You betcha.



#selfie, crusising like a couple of thugs in the afternoon sun

The weather in the past few days has taken a turn for the beautiful, and it tops out at about 67 degrees fahrenheit.  I can't wait for it to keep getting warmer, the sunset to keep getting later, and to keep learning more about this ancient and magical place all the while.  At this moment in my life things feel infinitely open and possible.  I am very happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment