Saturday, March 8, 2014

Getting into the Rhythm

By the time we arrived on Friday, I was somewhat in a daze.  With bags in tow, we all bolted up the stairs to find our room assignments and new homes.  Pulcinelli, the house in which I reside, is at least two hundred years old (I will get the real dates on Tuesday from Randall, the owner).  It is a classic.  I share my room with Catherine, a girl many years my junior, and find myself being the nesty old hen, arranging all my worldly belongings lovingly on top of my dresser and leaving the light on for her when I go to bed nice and early.

The view from my bed
Friday night we all had a delicious dinner made by Graziella (the cook who was born on this property close to 70 years ago) in the main castello with a few of the full-time staff, the owners and Jessica our great leader.  Dinner was delicious and consisted of a bread and tomato soup, pork chops, roasted winter squash, radicchio salad and plum cake.  And of course lots of wine.


Who let this girl with crazy hair into my room?
Saturday morning we all woke up in good moods and prepared breakfast for ourselves.  As I drank my thirty six cups of coffee, I sat around the large kitchen table and got to know my fellow interns better.  Believe it or not I like them all!  After breakfast Jessica arranged a scavenger hunt for us all to learn our way around the property.  For two hours Nina, an excellent chick from Arizona and I hunted for clues together which were all in Italian.  Among the many things we saw were a few of the beautiful old farm houses that decorate the property (and are rented to tourists) and some of the lovely pigs that I will be caring for.  In particular the baby pigs are so unbelievably cute.  They are like little dogs!  Luckily as they get closer to butchering age (2 years) they become far grumpier and less adorable.



After lunch which Jessica prepared for us (another delicious meal, I fear I am already getting fat) we got our work assignments.  Luckily, everyone got their first choice!  And as I alluded to earlier, this means I am on the animal team, caring for the donkeys, pigs and cattle.  My fellow animal person also happens to be super fucking great.  His name is Richard, he's 26 from D.C. and the funniest person here by far.  He is also very detail-oriented and super excited to be here.  I am very, very happy to be working with him.


Saturday afternoon we had to ourselves and I took some time to relax and do a few domestic chores.  On my morning run yesterday I got to see some hoof prints from the wild cinghiale (boars) that we share the property with.  I secretly hope I get to hunt one, as they do quite a bit of damage.

Another delicious meal last night and then after I showed off my fire-making skills to the fellow kids, who were all very impressed, as Finn's attempt the night before was less than successful.  As the fire roared, we all laughed, chatted and played cards.  I am definitely getting used to life here, and after today's (Sunday's) orientation, I will be ready to dive into work.




No comments:

Post a Comment